Making My Vanilla Extract
A 60mL bottle of quality pure and true Vanilla Extract costs approximately P250. That’s 12 uses, and it’s about P20 per use. That’s fricking expensive especially for people who have baking blackouts and suddenly wake up with 2 dozens of multicolor cupcakes or 4 dozens of cookies. :s That P250, won’t last a month. It’s EXPENSIVE!
Moreover, it’s an awful lot of 1) inconvenience to take a trip to baking specialty stores just for a bottle of vanilla 2) and expensive because you end up buying other stuff for baking that you want…and not need.
Thus the search for the online ordering of vanilla extract ensued and I stumbled upon a website that teaches how to make vanilla extract yourself! It’s awfully easy! The entire process is fun - and simple. PLUS! The vanilla will be lingering in your fingers leaving you smelling your hand repeatedly the rest of the day. :)
The ingredients can be doubled, tripled. The ratio is 3beans to 1cup of alcohol.
- 3 Vanilla Beans (I used the TahitianBudget Pack from The Vanilla Company, P250, they can be found in Gourdo’s or check out their website)
- 250mL or 1 cup of either Vodka or Rum (in my case, I used Tanduay Rum, less than P30 a bottle)
- A mason jar big enough to fit the amount of alcohol you’ll be using (more alcohol, bigger jar; Unfortunately, I can’t use the only mason jar we have which holds our sugar so I used a used Smucker’s Jam jar instead. Mason Jars are used for preserving, glass, and screw top with a special rubber band which seals the jar really tight)
- Sterilize by pouring boiling hot water into the jar and let stand for 10 minutes; drain and dry.
- Pour in the alcohol!
- Split the 3 vanilla beans lengthwise: you can do this by running a knife through the middle of the bean starting at the stem OR by using a pair of scissors
- Put the split vanilla beans into the alcohol. Make sure all beans submerged.
- Close the bottle, and screw the lid tight!
- Store in a cool, dark place.
- Shake at least once a week, or as much as you remember, for 8 weeks.
- After 8 weeks: use and enjoy!
Some blogs say that you could actually refill the extract. I.e. Say you’ve used up 20% of the extract, pour in the alcohol of the same kind (Rum for rum, vodka for vodka) until you reach the original amount of alcohol. Let rest for a week and then you’ll have refilled extract!
I’m terribly excited to use my extract which is 2 months from now. Hopefully, I’ll still be bake-bound by then :)
Mason Jars look like these:
and are constructed like this:
What’s your vanilla craving? :)